Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Turning Over A New Leaf !!

I purchased a book titled "Green Cleaning" in hopes of trying to be more eco- friendly.  In the last few years I have become more aware of the chemicals that are in the air we breath, the food we eat, and the cleaners we use on a daily basis..

Since I have taken to cleaning houses on Tuesdays with two of my friends for some extra cash, I have learned quickly that vinegar is my new best friend. Granted I don't especially care for the smell by it's self but mixed with water it's not so bad. It is wonderful on hardwood floors and ceramic tile. It doesn't streak on glass and it does kill germs, bonus. I learned (and can't wait to put to use) that if you mix 2 parts cream of tartar and one part hydrogen peroxide you can shine up your stainless steel sink. Since I don't have a stainless steel sink I am going to use my bathroom garbage can as a testing tool or maybe my toaster. 

Baking soda and salt are mentioned in the book so I can't wait to read on and learn how to use things in my pantry to clean and disinfect my home.. Maybe this could be a "blog of the day". I could even call it "Green Tips Tuesdays".. I am not good a creating catchy phrases so name ideas are very much welcomed. Hummm do I see a contest in the future.. Maybe !!!

Enjoy :)

2 comments:

  1. Love the cleaning tip on stainless steel. I have a stainless steel stove I can't wait to try it on. Maybe Wednesday could be "health tip" day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa!! That's a good idea :) I want to do one on Monday's about hair and makeup too.

    ReplyDelete